Today, the Governor of Virginia ordered:
- Cancelled school for the rest of the academic school year
- Restaurants are limited to curbside/takeout and delivery only
- Essentially all congregation areas / brick and mortar retail are closed – gyms, theaters, fitness centers, salons/barbers, bowling, you name it
- Essential places of business can remain open – medical supplies, grocery stores, etc. … somewhat interestingly, beer/wine/liquor stores are part of this “essential” list. I’m ok with that … even though I’m not really a frequent drinker.
- Services work like IT, consulting, etc. can continue to operate but should use teleworking
At this time, this lasts until April 23rd. I’m wondering if it will be extended though, and worry about folks mental health if it is.
It’s all pretty wild really. I agree with the actions taken, but still can’t believe it’s happening. It’s things we see in movies or read in books – not something you actually expect to see happen in the real world.
Seems the closing of schools left plenty of unanswered questions, such as what will happen when they reopen. Do the students start the semester over? Do they get an automatic pass? Who knows. I’m not sure anyone does, and that’s probably ok for now.